Pages

Tuesday 26 October 2010

Inspirational Designer: Leaving Burberry, Mid-life Crises, British Mills & Why High Fashion STILL Isn't Ethical ...



Morgaine at an Ethical Workshop in London
©(2010)OffsetWarehouse

Morgaine Wade, designer of gorgeous, ethical jewellery label, "Morgaine Alexandra", recently took the time to talk to us about her story: the mid-life crisis that spurred her to leave her high profile job at Burberry and fulfill her dreams of her own ethical jewellery label!  Here's what she had to say ...




Morgaine at an Ethical Workshop in London
©(2010)OffsetWarehouse
What gave you the inspiration to start your line?
I used to be a textiles designer for Burberry for about 5 years.  Textiles has been my passion for as long as I can remember. I left there in February, and I’ve been making my own jewellery for a while - I’ve always wanted to do it.  I hit my thirties this year, and think I hit my mid life crisis and decided to start my own business. I’ve collected pieces for years and years.  You know when you go shopping and you see pieces you love?  This is a way to take things that I love, and I prefer vintage and retro, because of the quality of the fabrics... so they are going to last and be more durable, those fabrics I use that are from way back when.

A company like Burberry - is there a big contrast in ethics, from what you are doing now?

Absolutely!  Completely!  I mean, they're amazing, what they do, but it is very different much about margin and making profit.  That’s not why I'm in it.  I'm in it because I'm very passionate about.

I'm also very passionate about using English fabrics from English mills.  In this country mills are dwindling - and everyone, the Americans, the Europeans, the Japanese, love English fabrics - everyone except the English love English fabrics!  I think, especially British brands, should be supporting the English textile industry.  And it's really struggling.  I know because I'm still in touch with English mills - some of the fabrics I use are they're scraps, so stuff they're going to chuck out.

A/W 2010
©(2010)MorgaineAlexandra
It's clear you're very passionate about textiles!  Why would you say it is important to be ethical and fashionable?

I think in this day and age it is incredibly important - consumerism's a scary thought!  The thing I hate, is the idea of throw away fashion.  The fact you’ve got people the other side of the world making it, then we buy it here and wearing it for a pound, and then throw it away.  I think it’s taken the fundamentals out of fashion - the way people dress is a way of expression.  I'm not saying spending thousands and thousands on a couture dress, but I think it’s great for people to know these little skills so they can make their own, and not buy Primark!  The problem is, if you boycott somewhere, it’s not the bigwigs that lose out, it’s the small people.

What is your view on the child labour scandals associated with Primark?

Well, I know that when I was at Burberry (obviously slightly different by being at the higher end of the bar) so there are laws that come in and you actually have to prove you're not using child labour.  It doesn’t work when they [the factories] know that they [auditors] are coming in, and it is places like Primark that are kind of slipping through the crack.

Do you think fashion companies aren't producing ethically, because of the quality?  Or is it that just that they don’t want this ethical image?

It’s about money!

They can’t use it if it’s not profitable.  The reason the majority of High Street brands outsource and now produce in China, India, the manufacturing etc, is because it’s cheap!  They can have higher margin on their products and they can make more money!  At the end of the day that is it.  If they move into ethical fabrics it’s more expensive.  In fact at Burberry, we did a range with vintage and fair-trade fabrics, and that whole line of cotton shirts doubled the price, because of the fabrics.

A/W 2010
©(2010)MorgaineAlexandra
What are your favourite sustainable, fair-trade fabrics to use?
In terms of what I use the most on my jewellery, it'd be leather and suede. They look beautiful!I

Having said that, my favourite fabric is really English tweed.

If someone wanted to get into into the fashion industry, from a money perspective, and not necessarily an ethical angle, how would you relate to them?

I would say, start your own store and have people work for you.  It’s the only way you’re going to make money.

What encouragement would you give to someone who wants to get into the fashion industry?

It’s a lot of hard work, and meeting and knowing the right people.  Going to the Eco-Design fair and talking to them about how they did it - they've all been there and done that.  And going to events like Estethica, talking to curators.  It's about meeting the right people!

http://morgainewadejewelinthecrown.blogspot.com/

Offset Warehouse brings you everything you need to create ethical fashion and interiors...


For more fabulous, ethical clothes and accessories, keep an eye out for our Boutique, launching soon!


You can sign up to be kept informed of the Boutique's launch ...

No comments:

Post a Comment